About the service
Our school nurses work across education and health, providing a link between school, home and the community. Their aim is improve the health and wellbeing of children and young people.
We form part of your child's school health team. We are an experienced, professional and qualified team who are here to help you and your child.
Our school nurses have four main responsibilities:
- To work in partnership with children, families and professionals to identify and protect children suffering, or at risk of suffering or harm
- To give confidential advice and support to children, young people, parents and carers
- To promote health by supporting children, young people and their carers with their physical, mental and emotional health and wellbeing, and by equipping young people with the resources to enable them to make healthy lifestyle choices
- To make sure children and young people with health issues access the right care.
Things you can discuss with a school health nurse:
- Relationships and sexual health
- Stress at home or at school, including bullying
- Body shape or size
- Help to stop smoking
- Worries about other members of your family
- Healthy lifestyle
- Body changes and puberty
- Information about other services
- Mental and emotional health and wellbeing.
Other services and support includes:
- Hearing and vision testing
- Weighing and measuring in reception and year 6, as part of the National Child Measurement Programme
- Help with developing health care plans for children with complex needs
- Confidential appointments
- Referrals to other health professionals and services
- Support for education staff when a child has a health condition
- HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) and other immunisations
- 'No Worries!' teenage health drop in clinics for confidential advice.
Who is this service for?
For children in school, as well as their parents or carers. We work with families and young people from age five to 19.
Contact usBadger House Oldmixon Crescent Weston-super-Mare North Somerset BS24 9AY
- 01934 419339
Back to top